Steelers cut Pro Bowl guard DeCastro, add Turner

iCrackStreamsJune 25, 2021

The Pittsburgh Steelers announced on Thursday that they released six-time Pro Bowl guard David DeCastro.

DeCastro was released with a non-football injury designation.

The Steelers later agreed to terms with former Pro Bowl guard Trai Turner on a one-year deal, his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, told ESPN’s Adam Schefter.

DeCastro told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette on Thursday that he needs ankle surgery.

“I have to get surgery on my ankle a third time,” DeCastro told the newspaper. “I tried to fix it last year but the bone spurs kept coming back. It nagged me pretty bad all last year.”

When asked by the outlet if he still wants to play, DeCastro said, “Gotta see how the surgery goes, but I’d have no problem calling it a day and moving on with my life.”

19hNFL Nation

With DeCastro’s release, the Steelers will have one returning starter on the offensive line: Chukwuma Okorafor, who is likely moving from last season’s spot on the right side to left tackle. Kevin Dotson also started for DeCastro a few times last season, but he’s slated to be the left guard.

The Los Angeles Chargers released Turner in March after first attempting to trade him. Turner, 28, was limited to nine games last season because of a groin injury, but he said recently he was “back at 100 percent.”

Turner had no guaranteed money left on a four-year, $45 million extension he signed with the Carolina Panthers in 2017.

Turner was selected to five Pro Bowls in his first six NFL seasons. Chosen in the third round of the 2014 draft by Carolina, he has played in 93 career games with 89 starts.

ESPN’s Brooke Pryor and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Categories
Comments are closed.